I thought a
lot after writing and publishing my essay about old age, about old people,
about the fear of growing old. I thought about the inevitable, about
humiliation, about illness, about frail bodies and minds.
But then,
my perspective shifted, like looking through a child’s kaleidoscope into the
light. Suddenly, the same pieces formed
an entirely different picture. And I realized that while getting old is still a
bother, it is also a privilege.
Yes, maybe
you are losing your marbles and the control of your bladder, but you can still
see your family around you, growing and flourishing.
You need help to walk to the nearest park and your vision is a little blurry, but you can still smell the freshly cut grass in the morning, listen to the birds singing like crazed gramophones. You can still fell the warmth of the sun soothing your weary bones and the deep lines etched across your face.
There are
days when you forget what month it is, perhaps even what century. Yet you can
still enjoy today, with all its moments, happy or sad.
And while
your hands are old and veiny, mapped with a constellation of age spots and
trembling just a little, you can still caress the cheeks of your children and
grandchildren. You can still hold the hand of the one you have loved for
decades, equally old and bony, while watching a movie, even if you forget its
name the moment it ends. The memory of that touch will linger on your papery
skin.
And as long
as your nightstand still holds, beside the medication, eye drops and an array
of face creams, a stack of books, a dried flower your daughter gave you, and
books, notebooks and jars full of pens and as long as a cat still sleeps beside
your head, chasing butterflies in his dreams, you are not giving up. You still
have another sunset to witness, another tear to cry, another pumpkin-spice
coffee to enjoy.
For all the
small pleasures that remain, however many or however few, life is still worth
living.
So, I
understand now.
When I see
their ancient bodies and hear their croaked voices, I won’t ask myself What
are they still doing here? Because I understand now.
For every
leaf that falls, every creek that murmurs, every blade of grass, every second
and every eternity, it is worth it.

No comments:
Post a Comment