When people
ask how are you, do they really mean it? Do they really care? Or is it
just some sort of social convention, but nobody actually gives a rat’s ass
about you or your life?
So, when
people ask me this question, I plaster a fake smile (real or virtual) on my
face and I answer, verbally or in writing, I am well, thank you.
And I wish
you wouldn’t ask me this if you didn’t care for an answer.
I can’t
imagine what people actually expect you to answer. They assume you are going to
tell them the truth about how you really feel, how you truly are? Are you going
to pour your soul out and tell them everything?
I don’t think so.
I don’t
think they care enough to actually listen to what you have to say. Many times,
the question is thrown at you while they are already walking past you, so what
do they expect? That you are going to run after them, shouting about your latest
achievements or failures?
I don’t
think so.
And anyway,
I am not going to burden some random acquaintance with the story of my life and
the myriad problems I face.
Because, by
God, my life is such an entangled mess lately. I am going through such a
strange period.
I can see
and feel that I am getting old. And like all new things, it scares me, because
I don’t know what to expect.
Pain?
Arthritis? Cataracts? Wrinkly skin? The feeling that you are losing your
marbles, your stamina, your muscles? Bigger, floppy ears? Chin hair?
When we’re
young we don’t think about old age. It is something so remote that it feels as
though it will never happen to us. Or, if it does, it will somehow be
different.
But it
comes to all of us in the end, surprising us in the most unpleasant ways.
Your body
starts betraying you. Your mind is not as sharp as it used to be. Your skin is
dry and crepey and not so firm. Your hands are full of age spots.
And
surprise! You hurt your shoulder when you lift a ten-kilo watermelon.
Of course,
it is not all doom and gloom.
Old age can
feel…liberating.
I mean, I
stopped caring what people think, for starters. You know, what will the
neighbors say? stuff.
I speak my
mind. I wear whatever pleases me, even if it is a Guns N’ Roses t-shirt and
holey jeans. And the colors don’t have to match, either.
I truly don’t
know how much time I still have on this Earth. I am pretty sure I will spend
half of it, if not more, worrying about my family and world peace.
But I will
try and spend the other half doing the things I love to do.
I am sure
that from time to time I’ll shrug and ask myself Why bother?
Because
even if I am old and I still haven’t found out the secret of life and
afterlife, I can still lie on the beach at night, on the warm sand and watch
the stars and galaxies being born and dying.
I can still
listen to the waves of the sea, like a never- ending, soothing lullaby.
And even if
I can’t say or write deep philosophical things like the Dalai Lama, I can still
enjoy a good book and a pumpkin-spice-flavored coffee. I can still watch my
cats chase butterflies in their sleep.
And marvel
at the baby pigeon that just hatched in a small plastic basket hanging from my
clothesline.
Life is
good.
Life is
bad.
Life is a
mish-mash of tragedies and comedies, all at once.
We are the
scale that tries to find equilibrium. We are the tightrope walkers with no
safety net.
But who
cares?
We have the
wings of our own imagination.
.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment