Friday, September 11, 2026

“Cu o moarte sintem datori” (“We All Owe One Death to God”)


 



 

The words of a friend of mine were ringing in my ears while I was waiting for a taxi to take me to the ER. It was 3 o’clock in the morning and I’d just woken up with my heart hammering in my chest a crazy rhythm and my pulse at an alarming rate.


It was, no doubt, one of the scariest moments of my life. Together with the time when Iranian missiles were flying over my head while lying in a ditch and Maya’s fainting because of rotavirus, it made the first of the three. Hurray!


Of course, being scared witless didn’t help. I tried breathing exercises, praying…and even now, when I am writing about it, it sends my anxiety levels through the roof.


At the ER they did blood tests, an X-ray and EKG and they said everything looked normal. My heart rate went down and I was shivering. They sent me home with “recommendations”. You know, go to your family doctor and ask for referrals to tests and a cardiologist. My doctor didn’t have free appointments until the end of the month because, well, holidays. Almost nobody works during this month, all the Jewish holidays come one after the other this month. So, everything gets pushed to next month. In September…well, I just have to survive September somehow.


What if it happens again, I asked. They shrugged.


They said maybe it is stress related.


Yes, I know, stress. The “silent Killer”. Or was it high blood pressure?


Don’t tell me about stress. I have been living with it for as long as I understood what it is. The last two years were especially hellish. Wars, Maya’s army, my husband’s cancer that made a spectacular come-back… And a million other problems I am not going to tell you about.


I know myself.

I am the one that cries over sick stray cats, worries about everything and everybody, whether next winter will be rainy and the water will infiltrate in the apartment. Why our neighbor parks his car on two parking spaces when there aren’t enough for all the cars in the building. Stupid stuff like that.


I cannot escape this toxic cloud of worry and anxiety that follows me everywhere, no matter how hard I try.


Because this is who I am.


I tried meditation and autogenic training and natural remedies and I read myself in a coma and I write and I try to cope with life the best I can.


But in the end, I know.


I know my heart is going to kill me one day, the soppy bastard.




 

No comments: