Jerusalem
again, Hadassah Hospital.
Again I get
sucked into this universe of pain and healing, of hope and despair, of tears
and smiles. I feel its gravitational force, making me a tiny planet orbiting
around it, over and over again.
I sit in the garden in the hospital’s inner courtyard and watch people coming and going, a colorful tapestry of faces and bodies and expressions against the blue of the Jerusalemite sky. A mosaic of personalities, young and old, Jews, Muslims, Christians, speaking every language in this Tower of Babel of almost magical cures and recovery.
In the face
of pain and sickness we are all equal. We are all the same -frightened,
hopeful, searching for empathy, for a kind word, for a sliver of trust.
The same
sun warms us. The same wind dries our tears.
We are the
same and yet, we feel so different.
We build
walls for us. We look for things that divide us. We crawl over each other backs
to reach for something – we are not even sure what… maybe just to be the ones
who can say, I am better than
you.
And then we
congratulate each other about how righteous and brave we are.
Maybe some
day we will understand this.
That we are
the same. In birth and in death, in happiness and sadness, in elation and desperation,
even in love and hate.
The
boundaries, the fences, are of our own making. The differences, our inventions.
To keep us separated, to weaken us. To lead us like sheep.
At Hadassah
Ein Kerem Hospital I don’t see different people, separated by religion, place
of birth or social status. I don’t see Muslims or Jews or Christians, Buddhists
or Zoroastrians.
I see
humanity, in all its colors and shapes.
And beliefs.
And the
crows agree with me.
Clever
birds.
Way clever
than us, puny humans.




No comments:
Post a Comment