Thursday, December 23, 2010

There is More to Life Than Christmas

Thomas Nast's most famous drawing, "Merry...Image via Wikipedia All this Christmas thingy left me absolutely shattered, mostly mentally. I experience such a deep depressive state around major holidays it takes some time to recover, believe me.
Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good things going on in my life (aproximately) and there are even advantages of living in a country where they don't celebrate Christmas. For example, there is no last - moment Christmas shopping rush, no over-priced merchandise ( I actually bought Maya two pairs of sneakers at a bargain price). But there are also no outdoor lights, no decorated trees, no carols or carolers, no days off work, no stuffed cabbage, nothing from the stuff I got back home...Well, everything comes with a price tag, and mine was....a little bit too expensive, I guess. As if it wasn't enough that I had to try to adjust to a different country, different mentality, different folklore and traditions, I also had to learn and live without so many things that I didn't know were part of who I am.
I miss my family a lot these days and also the friends I left back in Romania, and the atmosphere and the snow...
It is like I live two realities, sometimes even more...Confusing, huh? It is what I do at home, and then the face I have to put when I am among people and then I have to become somebody else when I write, otherwise it doesn't work...And so, sometimes I don't even know who I am any more...
Anyway, we have a Christmas tree (actually, we have three), Maya wrote her letter to Santa Claus asking for Buzz Lightyear (and she'll get it) and even though my husband works tomorow, we'll stay at home on Christmas night, together, creating our traditions and making it happen for us, even if a bit unconventional. Because there is more to life than silly dogmas and stupid rules and the idiots that made them...
Merry Christmas to you all!

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: