Saturday, December 5, 2009

This Year, I Started Early





































As I said before, I miss snow, I miss winter, but most of all, as miss the Christmas spirit. I can write endless posts about childhood Christmases, about traditions, family ones or national, about the things that I loved, about family, but I don't want. These memories make me sad, and for this year I've planned a better Christmas, not a gloomy one, nostalgia-filled like last year. And because everything is in the design, I've started to decorate the apartment as Christamssy as possible in a country where the holiday is celebrated mainly by Arabs or Russian orthodox and Christian foreign workers. I mean, I couldn't find a linen Christmas themed tablecloth no matter how hard I tried. I thought at some point to buy one from Ebay, but they are expensive, as I have to pay the postage. Ridiculous really, and in the end I gave up the idea and I'll improvise something. generally speaking, everything is kind of improvised, because I bought all the bits and pieces here and there, and I tried to put them together the best I could. The pictures in this post are of our living-room. Please observe that everything is supervised by my favourite statues (mainly Buddhas, also my Fu dogs and my "meditation" themed ones) as in our home all religions and belief systems are welcomed. On the living room table I've put on duty guard my most beloved Buddha, as he makes me smile everytime I see him...
P.S. If you have any idea on how to improvise a tablecloth for the Christmas table, do share, please!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You need two white table cloths, one large and one small. Dye one pine green, the other red. Place on top of each other, the small one centred on the large one. If you have a size that fits in between, keep that white.

The good thing is that you have the wonderful opportunity to create new traditions for your family.

Alone in Holy Land said...

Thank you Hevel for the idea. I thought about something similar, even thought I'd have liked something embroidered...But what the heck, I'll try it! And be sure I'll post pictures.

veganf said...

How about a white tablecloth that you could do some simple macrame on, or even stamp with ink pads or paint--if you can't find holiday stamps you can make your own, even using a simple potato cut in half and cutting 2 simple shapes.

I wish I could send you some snow!