Sunday, November 15, 2009

Supermommy and the White Couch

white couchImage by shell belle via Flickr

Well, not me, obviously! I am talking, of course, of my aquintance, the Supermommy knows-it - all that always manages to wind me up...I just hate this type. And combine it with a blissfull ignorance, stupidity and inculture, and you have Mrs. M, a fellow Romanian that is living here in Israel.
We were invited to her daughter's birthday on Friday evening, but because Maya's bedtime is 7 o'clock we didn't go. We went on Saturday, instead. I just wanted to give the girl her present and return home. I don't like to go there, especially with Maya, as Mrs. M's living room is beige and white. White leather sofa, beige carpet, you know what I mean. Last time we were there Maya droped some crumbs on the carpet and I thought I'd die of shame.
O.K., so gave the girl her present and she put it aside and continued with whatever she was doing. I asked nicely :"Aren't you going to open your present?" and she was like, O.K., well and after she opened it Mrs. M came over and said :"What, books? Again?" Wha...??? I stood there, like and idiot, and wanted the ground to open up and swallow me...I felt so...I cannot even describe the feeling...What did she expected me to buy for a 7 years old? Jewelry? Perfume? What??? I bought her a beautiful edition of "Winnie the Pooh" and another book with stories (and they didn't come in cheap, believe me). And you know what? The little brat didn't even say "Thank you".
I was furious when I returned home, and if you ask me, I even didn't know why. We also had a conversation about vitamins and stuff and Mrs. M's verdict was "They are all bulshit", she also said that Maya is too thin and that she cannot wait to clean her house and what a beautiful party they had on Friday.
I know I live in a world where a book doesn't have the same value it had when I was a kid, in a world where the kids are brought to the kindergarten in huge 4x4's and you are judged according to your flat screen TV and mobile phone. Well, I am not ready to surrender MY VALUES. I will continue to buy my daughter books and encourage her to read them, and I'll let her drop whatever she wants on the living room's carpet and play with her toys whenever she wants and let her to have fun and when time comes, clean the mess together.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ironically Ceausescu wanted us stupid and we resisted; the free world doesn't want us any way in particular (that's why they call it "free") and many of us have chosen to be stupid - out of their own will... had Ceausescu ever dreamt that capitalism could have such an effect upon people, he probably would have opened Romania's borders.

Alone in Holy Land said...

What can i say, Zorin? As usual, you are right!

Jeff said...

Hi! I am curious what it is like living in Israel, so this is the main thing that attracted me to your blog.

Since you wrote, I am sure I make a lot of mistakes when writing, so your feedback is precious to me. Please, help me improve my blog and my written English, I took one paragraph and decided to make a couple grammar suggestions. I will limit it to two corrections. Overall, for not being your first language, your English grammar and spelling is better than what I have seen from some others.

O.K., so gave the girl her present and she put it aside and continued with whatever she was doing. I asked nicely :"Aren't you going to open your present?" and she was like, O.K., well and after she opened it Mrs. M came over and said :"What, books? Again?" Wha...??? I stood there, like and idiot, and wanted the ground to open up and swallow me...I felt so...I cannot even describe the feeling...What did she expected me to buy for a 7 years old? Jewelry? Perfume? What??? I bought her a beautiful edition of "Winnie the Pooh" and another book with stories (and they didn't come in cheap, believe me). And you know what? The little brat didn't even say "Thank you".

(1) Instead of "like and idiot," it should be "like an idiot."
(2) Instead of "What did she expected me to buy," it should be "What did she expect me to buy."

Alone in Holy Land said...

Jeff, thank you for pointing out that mistakes for me. I am quite relieved actually, because the first one is a typing mistake and the second one...well, it happens when I don't pay attention to what I write.
Thank you again.
As for how it is like living in Israel...keep reading my blog and you'll see.

Esther said...

I sympathise with you both about the white furniture and the books.

I'm an Israel Anglo. My Anglo friends are always pleased to receive books for their children and are surprised that Israelis almost never give books.

I have also visited a 'white house'. Even the dining room set was white and the woman wouldn't let her children eat bamba sitting at the table. She made them go outside or eat standing up in the kitchen!!