Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Books and ... Chain Letters

You've got to kick at the darkness until it bl...Image by harold.lloyd (won't somebody think of the bokeh?) via Flickr

I have to start this post my writing about something that really bothers me. From time to time, I receive in my e-mail box all kind of letters, you know, chain letters...the type:"If you don't send this letter to x people, something awful will happen to you and your family, but if you'll send it, you'll win the lottery".
I usually don't re-send them, because I don't want to annoy my friends, and I hope that nothing bad will happen to me and my family because I didn't re-send them.
Guys, friends and family who wish me well, please don't send me anymore chain-letters, please! I don't want anything bad to happen, but I'll do the un-doable and break the chain and simply delete them...

O.K. now that I'm done with it...I got so annyoed I had to write about this stupid thing. Sorry. But sometimes it is good to just spit it out, whatever bothers you...
Today I'm going only to babble a while on my favourite subject: books. I found a writer that I love, and I got sucked up in this Universe. His name is Sergei Lukyanenko, he's a Russian writer, and after seeing two movies based on his books, I hurried and got his books and started reading... First of all, I have to say I love Russian movies. I grew up with them, in the communist Romania, when we didn't see much on the TV or at the cinema. We usually had Russian, Chinese and Indian movies. Some South American also, and of course, Romanian movies. They weren't that bad, you know. I love Russian writers also, I learned about them in school and "Crime and Punishment" was one of the books that I read when I was a teenager and I remember discussing about it for hours with my best friend from high school, a girl named Marieta. So I felt a sort of nostalgia when I saw the movies, even though they were not even close to the movies of my childhood (for one, I think vampires would've been a taboo subject in the communist culture). What can I say. The books are even better than the movies, Lukyanenko writes damn well and I felt a strange comnnection with this writer, whose hero, Anton, is nothing of the Superman type of hero we are all used to.
I'll keep reading ( I have four books to read, it is a tetralogy) and I'll keep you informed...
And before I return to Anton, just a few links with really nice articles:


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The books you wrote about are really good science fiction; I keep asking myself why negative utopias have moved into the collective subconciousness of Eastern Europe? Probably the first aftershock, following the intoxication of 1989, I think...

Alone in Holy Land said...

I really don't like the term science fiction when applied to Lukyanenko. I like "urban fantasy" more.
As for the negative utopias...you can say it is specific for Eastern European countries, but I like them better than the Superman-type American pop corn and soda type of fiction, where always (well, almost) there are clear boundaries between good and evil and of course, surprise, surprise, the good guys always win in the end...I remember seyying the italian series "Camorra" some time ago in Romania, and, at that time, it was the only movie I saw that didn't have a happy ending...So, maybe this negative thing comes from the Mafia, you know.
But Lukyanenko...he's the best...Sometimes, when I read him, I can almost smell the old Russian buldings, the atmosphere, and of course it reminds me of Home. I don't know if you saw the movies, but I just love the image of Anton going to hunt vampires after a good shot of vodka...